Cooking vegan air fryer mac and cheese bites may seem intimidating if you are doing it for the first time. In this recipe, however, you will learn how to do it the easy way! You only need a few minutes and you can soon enjoy a guilt-free dish!
The traditional way of cooking mac and cheese is in an oven. For many people, it can be time-consuming! Luckily, you can also make it in an air fryer. And I am not talking about regular mac and cheese. Instead, I am talking about those available in bite sizes!
Read on and learn how to make dairy-free mac and cheese in an air fryer!
Why Cook Vegan Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites
Plant-based diets are becoming more popular lately. They don’t have to be boring or bland. For instance, with vegan mac and cheese bites, you can enjoy oozing flavors without guilt!
One of the best things about air-fried vegan mac cheese bites is that it is healthy. Like many other plant-based dishes, it can be beneficial for your gut, which can improve nutrient absorption. Not to mention, it is also believed to lower bad cholesterol, improve heart health, prevent Type 2 diabetes, and decrease cancer risk. Plus, it can be a great choice for people who want to lose weight.
Aside from being healthy, air-fried vegan mac and cheese bites are also good because it is convenient. It is quicker and easier than cooking in an oven. It also means that you can easily clean up once you are done. You have the option to make mac and cheese yourself. But, if you want it to be more convenient, you can buy one that is already cooked, but make sure it is vegan.
To add, mac and cheese bites are easy to eat. They can be great finger foods, unlike those that you still need to bake in an oven.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Cook Vegan Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites
Ready to show off your cooking skills? Even if you have no skills to speak of, don’t worry! This is an easy recipe that I am sure anyone can do.
For Macaroni and Cheese:
- 1-1/4-cup vegan elbow macaroni
- 1-1/2-cup almond milk
- 4 flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cups of vegan cheese
- 3 tablespoons of vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Neutral cooking oil spray
For the Breading:
- 1-1/2-cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried celery
- The first thing to do is to boil vegan macaroni noodles and follow the instructions in the packaging.
- After cooking the noodles, drain the water. While the noodles are in the colander, add butter and mix. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt butter. Add salt and pepper.
- Add flour into the mix and whisk slowly until you achieve the desired consistency. Add unsweetened almond milk and wait until it boils. Once the mixture is boiling, add vegan cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the pasta. In a bowl, line parchment paper and transfer the macaroni and cheese. Refrigerate for at least 90 minutes.
- Take the bowl out of the fridge. Take a spoonful or an ice cream scoop of mac and cheese and form it into balls. Since it is cold, it would be easy to shape them.
- On a separate plate, add the ingredients for the breading mix. Dip the balls into the flax egg (essentially a combination of flaxseed meal and water) then into the breading.
- Spray the mac and cheese bites with a neutral oil. Make sure to use air fryer cooking oil without a strong flavor.
- Arrange them in an air fryer. Do not overcrowd to ensure proper heat circulation.
- Cook for 15 to 17 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Check the vegan mac and cheese bites. Once they are crispy and golden brown, take them out of the air fryer. Let them cool and enjoy!
How Do You Reheat Vegan Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites?
One thing I love about this recipe is that you can reheat them when you are ready to eat, and they will taste as good! This means that you can prepare it ahead of time and eat it whenever you are ready. Nonetheless, as with other food, avoid reheating more than two times. Doing so affects both quality and safety.
To reheat, place the bites in the air fryer basket. Spray a bit of oil, which will help make it crispy without drying. Heat for two to four minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You might need to reheat longer if the bites are bigger.
How Do You Store Vegan Air Fryer Mac and Cheese Bites?
The best way to store vegan air-fried mac and cheese bites is in the fridge if you intend to eat them within a day or two. Otherwise, the freezer is your best bet if you want to keep them longer. Put them in an air-tight container. Do not overcrowd. They will stick and might make them hard to separate when it is time to air fry.
It might seem difficult, but vegan air fryer mac and cheese bites are easy to make. You start by making the mac and cheese You can also buy one that is pre-made but make sure it is vegan. Coat them with breading mix and cook! The distinct crunch outside and the juiciness of the mac and cheese inside will give your mouth an explosion of flavors!
If you want to mix things up a bit it goes perfectly well with our avocado ball recipe.
But we also have a vegan meatball recipe. If you make all 3 you have the perfect vegan party plate for your guests.