When it comes to comfort food, pot pies are among the most popular. It is filled with mouthwatering meat, veggies, and gravy, and finished with an irresistible pastry crust that adds a unique texture.
What makes pot pies even better is that they’re easy and convenient to prepare. Take them out of the freezer, cook them in an air fryer, and wait a few minutes before you can enjoy a delicious treat.
Are you clueless about how to cook frozen pot pie in air fryer? You came to the right place! Keep on reading and learn from the tips we’ll share in this quick guide.
Why Cook Frozen Pot Pies in an Air Fryer
Like anything else that you cook on an air fryer, the biggest benefit is that it’s easy. Most air fryers have straightforward controls. There are no complicated buttons, making it perfect even for beginners.
Not to mention, cooking pot pies in an air fryer is easy. It will take only a few minutes. There’s no need to wait long before you can enjoy a savory pie.
Of course, air fryers are also easy to clean. You can even use parchment paper in an air fryer. This will catch crumbs and anything else, which will simplify clean-up.
Now for the frozen pot pie itself, it’s a good snack or meal to have. It already comes with meats and vegetables, although the fillings can differ between brands. It’s also perfect for people on the go as you can enjoy it even if you’re in a hurry.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Cook Frozen Pot Pie in Air Fryer
Since I was a kid, frozen pot pie is a staple in our kitchen. I would cook it myself. Well, technically, there’s no cooking involved as I just have to use the oven. Nowadays, however, there’s no more need to fire up the oven. Thanks to air fryers, I found a more convenient way to prepare pot pies.
- Preheat the air fryer. Set the temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will let the interior heat up, which can also speed up cooking.
- Wait for five minutes or until the air fryer basket is hot.
- Put the frozen pot pie in the air fryer. Cook them in batches, depending on the size of the pie and air fryer. Do not overcrowd or stack the pot pies on top of each other.
- Cook the pot pies for 10 to 15 minutes. Increase the temperature to 380 degrees Fahrenheit and cook for five more minutes.
- Check the pot pies. See if it is already in the desired color. Otherwise, cook for a few more minutes.
Tips and Tricks When Cooking Frozen Pot Pies in an Air Fryer
Here are some things to keep in mind when air-frying frozen pot pies.
- Watch out for the color of the pot pie. I have given a general guide on the time to cook earlier, but do not just blindly follow it. The best thing to do is to see the color of the crust. It’s cooked once it turns golden brown.
- Do not hold the pie with your bare hands. It might sound like commonsensical, but a lot of people miss this. The pie is hot, and you are risking dropping it when your hand is scorched, so watch out when taking it out of the air fryer.
- You can also speed up cooking by microwaving the frozen pot pie first for five minutes. Next, put in the air fryer for two to three minutes. This will be more than enough time to just make the crust crispy and golden brown.
- No need to thaw. However, don’t leave it at room temperature for a long time as this can cause food-borne diseases. You can cook it straight in the air fryer. More so, letting it thaw can end up making the crust mushy, which isn’t the texture that you will want in your pot pie. If it’s frozen as a rock, you need to add more minutes of air frying, making sure that it is cooked.
- Cut the pie in half before serving, especially if it’s for children. The filling can be piping hot. To be safe, cut it open and let it cool for a few minutes, so you can better enjoy your food.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best frozen pot pie brand to cook in an air fryer?
Any brand would do, but my personal favorite is Marie Callender’s Chicken Pot Pie. It is oozing with fillings, perfectly complemented by its rich sauce and crispy crust. Blake’s Chicken, Banquet, and Boston Market are other popular brands to consider.
Can you microwave a frozen pot pie?
Yes, you can also cook frozen pot pies in a microwave. In fact, many manufacturers will indicate such on their labels. However, I prefer cooking them in an air fryer because I like how doing so gives the crust a distinct crunch.
Are frozen pot pies pre-cooked?
Yes, the frozen pot pie is pre-cooked. Nonetheless, you still need to air fry them to achieve crispy exterior while also being able to enjoy it hot. Make sure to cook it properly to maintain the proper temperature throughout. It can be disappointing when only the crust is hot and the filling is cold.
How do you store frozen pot pie after air frying?
It’s best to eat it right away. Many of these pot pies are personal sizes, so you can finish them in one eating. However, if you cannot eat it, keep it in the freezer. Nonetheless, this can make the crust mushy.
At this point, I hope that you learned a thing or two about how to cook frozen pot pie in air fryer. As you can see, it’s quick and easy! You only need a few minutes, and the clean-up is also a breeze. Best of all, the result is delicious!