Burgers can be healthy without compromising flavor. Look beyond the usual beef patty. Learn how to air fry veggie burger to prepare a quick guilt-free snack within a few minutes!
The specific ingredients of veggie burger patties can vary from brand to brand. The most common include tofu, soybeans, mushroom, corn, and onion. You do not have to make one since they are conveniently available in supermarkets. Freeze them and cook them in an air fryer when ready!
Read on as I share a step-by-step guide and some tips to make air-fried burgers at home! Skip the grill. Ditch the stovetop. Instead, opt for a healthier alternative and enjoy a mouthwatering treat.
- Why Cook Veggie Burgers in an Air Fryer
- A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Air Fry Veggie Burger
- The Best Sauces and Toppings for Your Air-Fried Veggie Burger
- What to Eat with Air-Fried Veggie Burger
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Cook Veggie Burgers in an Air Fryer
One of the best reasons to air fry veggie burger patties is to enjoy a guilt-free meal. Most burgers are made of beef. Like other red meats, regular consumption can shorten your lifespan. It is linked to many health problems, including stroke, coronary heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, and some kinds of cancer. Hence, a veggie burger can offer the perfect alternative if you want something healthier.
Additionally, cooking in an air fryer is fast and convenient. No need to set-up the grill. You can be done within minutes. It is not even necessary to thaw the meat after taking it out of the fridge. On average, it can take only 15 to 20 minutes before you can finally satisfy your cravings.
The texture is also incredible. With the way an air fryer works, the appliance heats all areas. It adds a nice texture to the exterior while making the interior tender and juicy.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Air Fry Veggie Burger
- Frozen veggie burger patties
- Hamburger buns
- Prepare the burger. Take them out of the freezer and packaging. No need to thaw. You can put them directly in the air fryer.
- Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. It should take three to five minutes. Do not skip this step as it can ensure better cooking consistency.
- Arrange the burger patties in a single layer on the air frying basket or pan. Do not stack them. Depending on the size of the air fryer, most will fit at least two patties. Maintain enough space between each patty.
- Set the time to 10 to 15 minutes. The right duration will depend on many factors, such as the wattage of your air fryer and the thickness of the burger patties.
- After 8 minutes of air frying, flip the patties. Air fry for 2 to 5 minutes and check if it is done.
- Remove the veggie burger patties from the air fryer.
- Arrange on a bun and top with lettuce, tomato, and onion. Sprinkle with your choice of condiments. Add other ingredients depending on the flavors you want to achieve.
The Best Sauces and Toppings for Your Air-Fried Veggie Burger
Ketchup, mayo, and mustard are classics. However, if you are feeling a bit inventive, experiment with other sauces and toppings, but make sure they will not overpower the taste of the patty. Here are some options to consider:
- Garlic Mayo: By whisking and blending garlic, mayo, lemon, juice, oil, and salt, you can prepare a delicious sauce for your burger. Add chili powder if you want it with a kick.
- Smashed Avocado: Feeling healthy? Take your burger to the next level by adding smashed avocado on top, as you would in a toast. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pesto Sauce: The flavors of pine nuts, garlic, basil, and olive oil can elevate the taste of a simple veggie burger. However, be careful not to put too much sauce as it can be overpowering.
- Chimichurri: With strong flavors of garlic, parsley, and cilantro, it is another sauce that can complement veggie burgers, but use it in moderation.
- Arugula: Adding greens to your veggie burger is a treat. A layer of arugula on the top will add a distinct texture. You might also enjoy its peppery flavor.
What to Eat with Air-Fried Veggie Burger
While veggie burgers can be filling on their own, some might want to enjoy them with other food. This is especially the case if you intend to enjoy it as a full meal and not just as a snack. Below are some foods that can perfectly pair with your juicy veggie burger.
- Sweet Potato: French fires would have been the go-to burger pairing. However, if you are eating something as healthy as a veggie burger, you might as well opt for a healthy side like air-fried Japanese sweet potato.
- Salad: If you want something simple and quick to prepare, it is hard to go wrong with a salad. Mix any greens and healthy ingredients you have. Be creative, although it is best to avoid those with strong flavors.
- Roasted Veggies: You can also use your air fryer to roast veggies, including zucchini, squash, mushrooms, cauliflower, asparagus, and bell peppers.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you know when the veggie burger patties are cooked?
The best way to check is to use an internal meat thermometer. Stick it on the patty and look at the reading. If it is at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit, the burger is cooked. If you do not have a thermometer, you can also use a fork or cut the patty in the middle with a knife to see if it is cooked inside.
2. Do you need to use oil when air frying veggie burger patties?
You do not need to use oil when air-frying a veggie burger. Most will already have some oil. Also, the air fryer is meant to cook food with no or minimal oil, so you don’t have to worry about achieving the desired texture or doneness.
Learn how to air fry veggie burger and you can whip up a healthy snack within minutes! These patties are available in major supermarkets, so you do not have to make one from scratch! No need for grilling! The air fryer offers a convenient alternative without losing flavor!