The air fryer is one of the most versatile kitchen appliances, in which you can cook all kinds of meats. Today we are going to learn how to air fry veal cutlets.
In fact, veal cutlets turn out wonderfully crispy and flavorful in the air fryer. Read on to find out how to prepare this scrumptious dish.
What are the health benefits of veal?
Veal meat comes from cows. More specifically, younger male calves that are about five months old. Not many farmers slaughter young calves to produce veal, making this meat rarer and slightly more expensive than beef.
There are many health benefits to consuming veal. It is a low-fat protein, especially compared to beef, which has a much higher fat content. Doctors recommend consuming lean meat to keep cholesterol levels low, making veal a healthy choice for those who want a balanced diet.
Veal also contains essential nutrients like Magnesium, Zinc, Vitamin B3 and B12, Vitamin D, and Phosphorus. Milk-fed veal will have a higher concentration of these nutrients, and its meat will also be more tender. If you can get your hands on milk-fed veal, we would highly recommend that for the flavourful and succulent cutlets.
Why cook veal cutlets in the air fryer?
Air fryers cook food through the circulation of hot air inside the chamber. They use very little oil (just a few drops!) while still giving you results comparable to deep frying. This makes food cooked in an air fryer much healthier and lower in saturated fat.
The distribution of heat in an air fryer is also very even, making it a great choice for cooking meat. You can even cook whole quail in an air fryer! Veal cutlets will also cook very quickly in an air fryer, and unlike cooking them in a frying pan or deep fryer in which burning is a risk, you won’t need to hover over them until they’re done.
Ingredients needed to cook veal cutlets in the air fryer
For crispy veal cutlets, a breaded crust works best. The ingredients you need for this recipe are all things you probably already have lying around your pantry. Veal tastes best with simple seasonings, and the delectable crust couldn’t be easier to make.
- One pound of veal cutlets
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- One teaspoon salt, preferably sea salt
- One teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika (optional, for spice)
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Two eggs
- One tablespoon chopped parsley
- Nonstick cooking spray or a few drops of olive oil
- Lemon wedges to garnish
How to air fry veal cutlets?
- The first step is to preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. Since you are cooking meat, a higher temperature is required.
- Season your veal with salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon juice.
- Place your flour and breadcrumbs in separate flat plates or dishes.
- In a bowl, beat together the eggs, pecorino cheese, and chopped parsley.
- Dip your veal cutlets into the flour, then the egg mixture, and finally, the bread crumbs. Ensure that the breadcrumbs coat the cutlets evenly to get a crisp texture and golden brown colour.
- Spray the air fryer basket with the nonstick cooking spray. Alternatively, you could add a few drops of oil to the basket if you don’t want to use cooking spray.
- Add your veal cutlets to the basket, ensuring the air fryer is not overcrowded. Try to place them in a single layer for the evenest heat distribution.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, then flip and cook on the other side for the same amount of time.
- They should be golden brown with a crispy exterior and tender inside when done.
- Remove and serve with lemon wedges and a side of chilled tomato salad, mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
Tips and tricks for cooking veal cutlets in the air fryer
Make sure to keep the temperature high, but don’t leave your cutlets in for too long, as they can overcook and turn tough and chewy. If your cutlet is thick, you can flatten it out with a meat mallet. Tenderizing it will allow it to cook faster and more uniformly.
If you prefer a grilled cutlet, you could also use an air fryer and grill combo for a smokier, charred flavour. An air fryer and grill combo allows you to get the same results as a traditional grill from inside your kitchen.
So now you know how to air fry veal cutlets in under fifteen minutes. This quick and nutritious meal is perfect for weeknights and busy days when you can’t spend hours in the kitchen. You can serve your veal cutlets with a chilled tomato salad as is customary in Italy, where this dish originates from. You can also pair them with mashed potatoes and gravy or even some easy and delicious butter noodles! These two sides are usually popular with even the pickiest of kids.