Lumpia is one of the most popular Filipino dishes, which is comparable to Chinese and Vietnamese spring rolls. In this article we’re going to learn how to air fry lumpia. The traditional way of cooking includes deep frying to achieve its distinct crispy exterior. For a healthier and more convenient alternative, however, you are probably wondering how to air fry lumpia.
Luckily, cooking lumpia in an air fryer is easy! You can cook it frozen or make the dish from scratch and air fry it. Either way, you will only need a few minutes!
Why Cook Lumpia in an Air Fryer
If you are looking for a healthier way to cook delicious dishes, then you will love air-fried lumpia. While some people still use oil when air frying, it is minimal. As you probably know, fried foods are bad for your health, so it is good to find other ways to cook, and that is when an air fryer saves the day.
More than being healthy, air-frying lumpia is easy and convenient. It can only take a few minutes. No need for messy clean-up once you are done. You don’t even have to think about where to keep or throw oil once after cooking.
With an air fryer, you can also cook lumpia straight from the freezer. This is good for people who are always in a hurry. No need to wait for it to defrost before air frying.
A Step-by-Step Guide on How to Air Fry Lumpia
Below, I will share two lumpia versions you might want to try.
Meat is the traditional option for cooking lumpia. It is mixed with veggies to give it a unique texture and make it more flavor while also making it a bit healthier if you are feeling a bit guilty!
- 1 pound pork, ground
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/3 cup water chestnut, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups of cabbage, shredded
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- Olive oil spray
- Lumpia wrapper
- Mix ground pork, water chestnut, onion, cabbage, carrots, soy sauce, and rice vinegar in a bowl.
- Lay a lumpia wrapper flat on the surface and layer it with the filling.
- Roll the lumpia wrapper and seal the edges.
- Lightly spray with olive oil.
- Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once hot, arrange the lumpia pieces, making sure there is enough space between them.
- Turn and cook for five more minutes. Let them cool and serve.
From veggie burgers to vegan pizza, you can cook a wide array of healthy dishes in an air fryer. If you have not tried preparing lumpia, now is the time to give it a shot!
- 1 cup mashed chickpeas
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ large onion, minced
- ¼ cup chives, sliced
- ½ cup cabbage, sliced
- ½ cup zucchini, sliced
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon five-spice
- Lumpia wrapper
- 1 egg white
- In a bowl, put chickpeas and mash using a fork.
- Add the carrot, garlic, onion, chives, cabbage, zucchini, celery, rice vinegar, soy sauce, five spice, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Unwrap the lumpia wrapper. Cut it in half. If it is square or rectangular, cut it into two triangles.
- Grab a spoonful of lumpia and transfer it to the edge of the triangle. Shape like a sausage. Fold the sides and roll. Use egg white as the glue to bind the wrapper. Repeat until you finish everything in the bowl.
- Brush lumpia using the best oil for an air fryer, which should be one with a neutral flavor.
- Arrange lumpia in an air fryer basket or pan. Do not stack. Ensure enough space between each piece for proper heat circulation. Work in batches if you have a small air fryer.
- Air fry for 9 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip and cook for three more minutes.
- Check color and doneness. Once cooked, remove from the air fryer and cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Got questions about air frying lumpia? I will answer some of them below.
1. What sauce goes well with lumpia?
The best sauce depends on personal preference. Sweet chili dipping sauce, however, is one of the most common. A mix of rice vinegar, soy sauce, and granulated garlic can also be a good choice.
2. What goes well with lumpia?
It is hard to go wrong with fried rice when eating lumpia. Vegetable salad can also be a great option, especially if the lumpia you cooked is heavy on meat. Alternatively, you can enjoy lumpia with egg drop soup. Meanwhile, since lumpia is finger food, it is good to enjoy even on its own!
3. Can you air-fry frozen lumpia?
You can cook lumpia in an air fryer straight from the freezer! It is a great way to save time since you don’t need to wait until it thaws. Even if your air fryer does not have a microwave with defrost function, you can air fry it directly.
By now, I hope you learned a thing or two about how to air fry lumpia! As you can see, it’s easy! Now is the time to try this versatile Filipino dish. Whether on its own or with various side dishes, it is a mouthwatering treat. No more need to deal with messy and time-consuming deep frying when you can prepare it within minutes in an air fryer.