With a crispy exterior and flavorful interior, toasted sandwiches are delicious! Whether it’s for breakfast, afternoon snack, or anytime of the day, even at night, it’s a treat. As such, I often get asked this question – can you toast a sandwich in an air fryer?
Yes, you can toast a sandwich using an air fryer! Most people will use a broiler, toaster oven, grill, or pan when toasting sandwiches. However, if you’re looking for a more convenient alternative, you can do it in an air fryer. Read on, and I will share how you can do it.
Why Use an Air Fryer for Toasting Sandwiches
Now that you know that you can make delicious toast sandwiches in an air fryer, you’re probably curious why you should do it. Why not use a toaster oven?
Well, one of the best things about using an air fryer is that it has even heat circulation. In a previous post about how an air fryer works, I highlighted how the fan is one of its most important components. It distributes heat evenly. This is one thing that you will not find in toaster ovens. Hence, an air fryer allows you to cook more consistently.
The speed of cooking is another good reason to use an air fryer. It cooks fast, which makes it ideal for people in a hurry. The reason for this is also the fan, which circulates hot air to toast a sandwich quickly.
More so, I love using an air fryer for toasting sandwiches because of its versatility. I wouldn’t buy a toaster only for making sandwiches or reheating pizza. I would rather invest in an air fryer. It’s a versatile appliance that can make me experiment with various foods, such as vegan air fryer burrito and air-fried red snapper.
Lastly, I like the result of toasting a sandwich in an air fryer. I’ve tried it several times, and let me tell you, it’s incredible. The interior is crisp and golden without being burnt. It has enough crunch but not too burnt. Meanwhile, the exterior remains soft but properly cooked.
Toast Sandwich Recipes You Can Try in an Air Fryer
So, you’re now probably looking at recipes to try. Below are some simple but delicious toast sandwiches that you can make in an air fryer.
Air-Fried Cheese Toast Sandwich
It’s hard to go wrong with classics! So, if you’re looking for an easy sandwich to prepare in an air fryer, cheese toast should be on the top of your list. The melted cheese inside the bread will surely tickle your taste buds, especially when it is complemented by the crispness of the toast.
Luckily, you don’t need a lot of ingredients. Simplicity is the key. The star, of course, would be the cheese. Cheddar is one of the best options, which is known for its sharp flavor. I also often go with a combination of gruyere or parmesan. Any cheese will actually do, but use one that melts easily, so you can get that distinct gooey texture. You’ll also need two slices of bread and a teaspoon of butter. Here are the simple steps.
- Use a kitchen brush to apply butter on both sides of the bread.
- Put cheese in the center and position in the air fryer.
- Air-fry your toast at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for four minutes. Flip and cook for another four minutes.
- When it reaches the desired color, take it out from the air fryer and enjoy.
Ham and Cheese Toast in an Air Fryer.
It’s basically almost the same as the recipe for the toast sandwich above, but you’ll add ham. Any ham on the fridge can do. However, I suggest looking for one that has a sweet or spicy flavor. This way, the meat in the sandwich can create a sharp contrast to the saltiness of the cheese.
- Brush both sides of your bread with butter. Cover it generously as it will add flavor and texture to your toast.
- Add a slice of cheese and top with a slice of ham. If you want, you can add another slice of cheese on top of the ham.
- To make it even more flavorful, you can also add mayonnaise. It adds creaminess to the sandwich.
- Put the sandwich in an air fryer. No need for preheating. Cook the sandwich for five minutes at 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Flip and cook for another five minutes. If it is already in your desired color, remove from the air fryer and enjoy.
So, can you toast a sandwich in an air fryer? The answer is a resounding YES! It can be a great alternative to a conventional toaster oven or electric grill. The classic toast is one with gooey cheese, but you can also add ham if you prefer!