Traditionally, beef stew is a one-pot meal. It is best cooked on a stovetop or slow cooker. It must be simmered for at least an hour to make the meat tender. What if you want to cook beef stew meat in air fryer?
When it comes to comfort food, beef stew is one of my favorites! The rich and savory flavors are guaranteed to be a treat for the taste buds. It is especially a great food to eat when it is cold as it provides the needed warmth while satiating my hunger.
Read on and I will share how to prepare a beef stew in an air fryer.
Why Cook Beef Stew Meat in an Air Fryer?
If you know how an air fryer works, then you are aware that it uses circulating hot air to cook food. As such, the best reason to use it for cooking beef stew is that it allows faster cooking, especially when compared to a stovetop. This is perfect for people who do not have the luxury of time to whip up delicious recipes!
One thing to note, however, is that I am not using a regular air fryer for this recipe. Instead, I am using the Insta Pot Duo Crisp + Air Fryer. It comes with a removable lid, which transforms the appliance from an air fryer to a pressure cooker or slow cooker in an instant. With up to eleven functions in one, it is a great addition to the kitchen.
I am not going to use the air fry function for this recipe. Instead, I will cook the meat through the sauté function.
Ingredients Needed to Make Beef Stew Meat in Air Fryer
- 1 pound of beef
- Beef bouillon
- Beef powder or cube
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 6 small potatoes, sliced
Instructions to Make Beef Stew Meat in Air Fryer
- Prepare the beef. Add flour and your choice of seasonings.
- Turn on the sauté function. Take note that this is not a standard feature you will find in most air fryers. Instead, it is exclusive to those with multiple cooking functions.
- Add oil and wait for the pot to heat up. Choose from one of the best oils for an air fryer, such as refined olive oil or coconut oil.
- Put the meat in the pot.
- Sear until brown and take it off the heat. Transfer the meat to a bowl.
- In the same pot with juices from the meat, add onions.
- After lightly sauteing the onion in the pot, add beef bouillon. Keep on stirring. If you are using cubes, you need to dissolve them in water first.
- Add beef powder or cube to make the dish more flavorful.
- Season the mix with salt and pepper.
- Put the beef earlier seared in the pot.
- Add carrots and potatoes.
- Mix everything in the pot and add enough beef bouillon to cover the vegetables.
- Cover the lid and choose the pressure cook function.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
Tips to Make this Dish
You do not have to be an expert to cook beef stew in air fryer like a pro. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Pay Attention to the Right Time
Many of you are probably wondering how long to cook stew meat in air fryer. However, in this recipe, I did not air fry the meat. Instead, I sautéed it in the pot. This should not take more than a couple of minutes. Just wait until the beef turns brown. As for the pressure cooking, 30 minutes should be enough.
- Use the Right Meat
Choosing the right cut is essential. Among others, one of the best options is a chuck roast. It is a cut above the short rib. I also suggest picking one with slight marbling, which will add more flavor to the stew.
- Add Wine
While I did not include it as an ingredient in this recipe, feel free to use wine. Adding wine when cooking will add more complex flavors. Red wine is the best option. It can be added to deglaze after searing the beef and before sautéing onions.
- Use Large Cuts of Vegetables
It is easy to overcook vegetables. Since this recipe requires cooking them in the pot for at least 30 minutes, it is best if the cuts are large. Otherwise, they can easily turn soggy or mushy, which will ruin the dish.
Cooking beef stew meat in air fryer is easy (same like our venison recipe)! For this recipe, however, I did not use the actual air fryer function. I used an Instant Pot Duo, which has an air fryer and other functions, including slow and pressure cooking.