Seitan wings are probably the best vegan dish you will ever try; covered in hot barbeque sauce, these wings are a complete delight and one of the best plant-based party foods. Baked Seitan wings are delicious but have you ever thought of making them in the air fryer?
Air fryer Seitan wings are lip-smacking and super easy to cook, and the best part about making them is you only need a few drops of oil to make yourself a delicious vegan snack with no extra calories.
Air-fried Seitan wings are made similar to baked ones, except they are cooked in the air fryer. Once this is done, they are mixed with homemade barbeque sauce before you dig into them.
This may be the easiest Seitan wings recipe you have ever seen; it includes two cooking cycles in the air fryer.
After the first air frying cycle, the wings are complete; they look like puffy bread and are still a little wet.
The second cycle makes them nice and chewy, after which they are tossed with barbeque sauce.
Who wouldn’t love the perfectly cooked, succulent, and savory Air fryer Seitan wings? Try out this fantastic recipe to give you and your vegans and delicious treat. Stay tuned.
Ingredients required to make Air fryer Seitan Wings
For Seitan Wings
- 2 cups Vital wheat Gluten
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- tablespoon olive oil ( for brushing)
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable broth
- Fresh Chives ( finely chopped)
For the BBQ sauce
- ¼ cup of Dijon mustard
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch salt
Instruction for making Air fryer Seitan wings
- To prepare the seitan wings, mix in the vital wheat gluten, salt, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Now slowly pour the vegetable broth and make a dough out of them.
- Once the dough is made, pull tiny pieces of seitan from it and shape them according to the size of your air fryer’s basket. Set them aside.
- Once you have made all the seitan wings, brush them with olive oil and place them in the air fryer in a single layer. Make sure to not overcrowd the space and cook in batches if required.
- Air Fry them for 8 minutes at 370 degrees F first. After 8 minutes, flip the seitan wings and cook them for 5 more minutes. Repeat with all the other pieces.
- Once done, take the seitan wings out of the air fryer and set them aside.
- To make the BBQ sauce, in a small saucepan, whisk in tomato sauce, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, onion powder, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper over low, medium heat.
- Bring them to a simmer and reduce the heat; let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Once the sauce achieves the desired consistency, remove it from heat and set it aside to cool down.
- Toss the prepared Air fryer Seitan wings in the BBQ sauce and transfer them into an oven-safe container that will fit inside your air fryer.
- Cook these for 5 minutes at 370 degrees F.
- Once done, take out from the air fryer, garnish the Air fryer Seitan wings with fresh chives and serve warm.
It doesn’t really matter what kind of air fryer you use for this recipe. You can use air fryer oven, basket-type or any other type of air fryer. For an air fryer oven I’d use a Kalorik MAXX air fryer oven and for the basket type I’d use a Ninja AF101.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- Calories – 272
- Total Fat – 2g
- Saturated Fat – 0g
- Trans Fat – 0g
- Unsaturated Fat – 1g
- Cholesterol – 0mg
- Sodium – 787mg
- Carbohydrates – 19g
- Fiber – 3g
- Sugar – 6g
- Protein – 47g
What is Seitan Wings? Are Seitan Wings Vegan?
Seitan, also known as wheat gluten, is a plant-based protein made from wheat protein. It is made by removing the starch from wheat flour through a process called washing, leaving behind a sticky, elastic substance called gluten. The gluten is then shaped and cooked to form a chewy, protein-rich ingredient that can be used in a variety of dishes.
Seitan has a meat-like texture and is often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian and vegan dishes. It is high in protein and low in fat and carbohydrates, making it a popular choice for those following a plant-based diet.
Benefits of cooking seitan wings in an air fryer
There are several benefits to cooking seitan wings in an air fryer. One of the main advantages is that it is a healthier option compared to deep-frying. Air fryers cook foods by circulating hot air around them, which allows them to achieve a crispy texture without requiring a lot of oil. This means that seitan wings cooked in an air fryer will have less fat and fewer calories than those that are deep-fried.
Another benefit of cooking seitan wings in an air fryer is that it is a quick and easy process. Air fryers preheat quickly and can cook foods in a fraction of the time it would take in a traditional oven. This makes them a convenient choice for busy individuals who want to prepare a delicious meal in a short amount of time.
Finally, using an air fryer to cook seitan wings is an energy-efficient choice. Air fryers use less energy than ovens, which means they can save on electricity costs and have a lower carbon footprint. This makes them a sustainable choice for those who are looking to reduce their impact on the environment.
Is seitan considered processed food?
Seitan can be considered a processed food because it is made from wheat flour that has been processed to remove the starch, leaving behind the protein component called gluten. The gluten is then shaped and cooked to create the final product, which is seitan. Seitan is often used as a meat substitute in vegetarian and vegan dishes because of its chewy and protein-rich texture.
That being said, the extent to which seitan is considered a processed food depends on how it is made and the ingredients that are used. Some seitan products may contain additional ingredients, such as flavorings and preservatives, which could increase the level of processing.
On the other hand, homemade seitan made with just wheat gluten and water would be considered less processed. Ultimately, the classification of seitan as a processed food will depend on the specific product and its ingredients.
How to store any leftover Air Fryer Seitan Wings?
Storing leftover Air fryer Seitan wings is pretty easy, except that stored seitan wings dry out very quickly. So if you have any leftover sauce, spoon it over the wings before storing them. Air fried seitan wings leftover, when stored in an airtight container, will last you for up to 10 days and can be reheated either in the microwave or in the pan
Make sure to add some extra sauce or water to the container before heating them in the microwave; the same goes for the pan. To heat them in the pan, add some water to the wings and cook for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Ensure to not overheat them as your seitan wings will dry out and become dense.
If you wish to store the Air fryer seitan wings for more extended periods, you will have to freeze them. Freeze them in an air-tight container or reusable bag, and these will last you for up to 6 months. Just thaw them overnight before reheating.