Corn nuts will make the perfect option for low-calorie snacks, especially when compared to chips and crackers. Traditionally, it’s cooked through deep frying. You’ll get a distinct crunch and mouthwatering flavor, but using oil can be an issue for some people. Not to mention, it can also be a hassle to cook.
As an alternative, why don’t you try making air fryer corn nuts? It’s suitable for people who are looking for a healthier way to prepare delicious munchies. Air frying corn nuts will only take a few minutes, and so is the clean-up.
Are you interested in learning how to make air fryer corn nuts? Read on and learn from the insights I’ll share in this short post.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Making Air Fryer Corn Nuts
You don’t need to be an expert in the kitchen to make a great-tasting snack. To make air fryer corn nuts, below are some ingredients you’ll need:
- 14 ounces of giant white corn
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 and ½ teaspoons of salt
With just three basic ingredients, you can whip up something delicious without the hassle. To do so, follow the steps below:
- Start by placing the corn in a bowl with water. Let it sit for at least eight hours or overnight. This is quite a long time, but it’s necessary to achieve the best outcomes.
- Take the corn out of the water. Spread them on a flat tray and dry them using paper towels. Then leave the corn to air dry for 20 minutes. This is important to remove excess moisture, which will also make the corn nuts crunchier.
- Next, preheat the air fryer. The temperature should be 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put the air-dried corn in a bowl together with the oil and salt. Mix until they are heavily coated.
- Arrange the corn in an air fryer. Make sure they’re in a single layer. Cook for ten minutes and shake the basket. Cook for another ten minutes. Shake and cook again, but this time, only for five minutes.
- Let the corn nuts cool before serving. This should take up to 20 minutes, which will make sure that they’re crispy.
Air Fried Corn Nuts Nutritional Information
If you’re religiously monitoring what you eat, then you’re most probably curious about the nutritional content of air-fried corn nuts. Our recipe above used 14 ounces of corn nuts. Such will yield up to eight servings. Meanwhile, each serving has the following:
- Calories: 225
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbs: 36 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
- Dietary Fiber: 7 grams
- Potassium: 141 milligrams
Using Hominy as a Substitute
While I prefer using white corn kernels as the main ingredient for the recipe, don’t limit your options. Among others, one thing that you might want to consider is hominy. It comes from yellow or white field corn. They undergo a process that uses an alkali solution to remove hull and germ from corn.
Because the hulls are removed, hominy is easy to eat. This also means that you don’t have to worry about the hulls getting in between your teeth.
Tips When Making Air Fryer Corn Nuts
Here are some things to keep in mind to help you make the best air fryer corn nuts:
- Cook in batches. It might be tempting to load everything on the basket and air fry in one go. However, overcrowding can make cooking inconsistent. Spread the corn kernels evenly, making sure that you do not layer them.
- Explore different flavors. Corn nuts, on their own, can be delicious, but they can be more mouthwatering if you experiment with different seasonings. Depending on what tickles your taste buds, you can add chili powder, cheese powder, or BBQ seasoning, among others.
- If you’re not yet ready to eat your corn nuts after they cooled down, store them in an airtight container. Keep in a cool, dry, and dark place to preserve the quality. This way, they will remain crunchy even after days. It is best not to freeze them and consume them within three to four weeks.
- There are also some things you can do to make it crispier. For instance, one thing that might help is to add rice flour.
- Pay attention to the right temperature. The corn nuts will burn when it is too hot. On the other hand, they will not be crunchy and cooked when the temperature is too low.
- Do not eat the corn nuts immediately. You might be excited but resist the urge. Allow it to dry for a few minutes. A good way to do this is by putting paper towels underneath. It can help drain excess oil and make the corn nuts crunchier.
Overall, it’s easy to prepare air fryer corn nuts. They will make the perfect snack if you’re craving something crunchy and delicious without high calories. Best of all, since they are air fried, you can be confident that these are healthier compared to their deep-fried counterparts.
Next time try our air fryer popcorn recipe for another great snack made of corn.